Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Back at it!

Well, after months away from the sewing room....I'm back at it! My daughter is finished with treatments, hopefully a final scan will determine that all traces of the cancer are gone and nothing more will be needed! My husband and I have been home for almost 2 weeks....the longest time home since Nov. I think! Nice to get back to normal.

So, of course, I am happily sewing again! I bought nice new upholstery fabric to make new covers for my porch furniture. The old ones are quite faded and crisp new covers to welcome the warm weather sound so good. Another porch/warmer weather type project I'm working on is a small throw knitted with cotton yarn. I started knitting again while away, for something to do and also learned to make a couple of hats for my daughter. I like a throw for my shoulders if the porch is cool or my feet when inside with the fan going. Anyway I am enjoying the knitting and trying new patterns.

Now back to quilting....I finished a small throw for my neighbor who took care of my cat, mail and plants while we were away. I used the pattern from a kit I got at a show awhile back, and made once before. It uses 3 colors and was advertised as a quilt for $20.00. Really enjoy making this little quilt and it goes together quickly. I like the look of this so much I'm wishing it was for me....but happy to give for all the help Sue was to us. Here is a picture of it.



My next quilt will be for my daughter. While I was looking through a quilt magazine at her treatment one day she saw this quilt and said she'd like it. The thing is I've made tons of quilts, some very personal, but not for my kids! Weird, huh!? For my younger son I have a half made quilt featuring guitars that I needed fabric for..... I think that was at least 5 years ago. Since then I did locate some fabric but still need to pull it all out and get it together. When my other son got married I made a personalized quilt for them but it remains unfinished. Claire has a small throw with 'hot guy' fabric on it and that was more of a joke. Anyway I think I should make my children proper bed quilts. So I'm cutting pieces for this one Claire liked and didn't realize how big a project I was getting into......162/5" blocks and 161blocks made up of small pieces to become 5" blocks.....all different colors! Woohoo way to make it hard on myself!!

2 comments:

Pat said...

I love the quilt you made for your neighbor. And...welcome back to Blogland!!! Hope to see you at the end of the week.

Beth said...

So good to see a post from you. It sounds like your daughter is doing well.I will bethinking of her and hoping for the'all clear' for her.

Your neighbor will love her quilt. I know your daughter will love hers too. It sounds a bit complicated. Happy stitching.